– What was your inspiration to get involved in competition law and policy ?
– Could you describe the competition law and policy framework in South Africa ? How do the Competition Commission and the Competition Tribunal interact ?
– Given the different degrees of competition development between the countries in Africa, are there any efficient local or regional fora to foster cooperation in the field of competition law and policy ?
– The South African Competition Commission has selected the food sector as one of its priority and is currently investigating allegations of price fixing and collusion among more than 30 food companies. Does the South African Competition Tribunal have a role in the process ?
– In the light of the above food industry situation, it appears that South African National Assembly is considering criminalizing sanctions against cartelists by sending them to jail. What is your view on this ? Can it bring an added-value ? Under what conditions ?
– On the Steering Group of the International Competition Network. Following Sheridan Scott’s departure last January, you took over the Chairmanship of the ICN. Are there any specific goals that you wish to accomplish during your time as Chairman of the ICN ?
– You were one of the pioneers in the creation of the ICN in 2001 and you played a crucial role in its development. Can you speak of the evolution of this organization and in which direction do you see it going in the future ?
– Like many similar organizations, the ICN has always focused on a consensus-building system in which competition authorities are bound only by mutual respect towards one another. Do you think that the increased adoption of best practices or recommended practices within the ICN is moving it towards a more binding process ?
– How does the ICN engage developing countries ?
– Does the global crisis impact the role and the function of the ICN, and in which way ?
– The ICN conducts nearly all of its business on the telephone and via the internet. Given the current economic situation, do you think other organizations will follow suit in order to liberate funds linked to maintenance of an organizational headquarters ?
Interview réalisée par Stéphanie Yon-Courtin, Chambre de commerce de Normandie.
L'accès à cet article est réservé aux abonnés
Déjà abonné ? Identifiez-vous