The Concurrences PhD. Awards are aimed at selecting and publishing the best thesis on specific topics in competition/regulation law or economics, excluding works on more general subjects, such as treatises and manuals. Where possible, Concurrences grants every year two PhD. Awards: PhD. Award in Competition Law, and, PhD. Award in Competition and Economics. Law theses must concern EU competition law, the law in member States, or law in States linked by cooperation agreements to the EU, as well as comparative law research with a European dimension.
Only PhD theses are eligible, not Master theses. Theses must have been defended between 1st March 2021 and 1st March 2022. The language can either be English or French.
Applications for the PhD. Awards are opened from 1st February 2022 to 1st May 2022
The winners of the 2022 PhD. Award will be posted on this page and will be announced at the New Frontiers of Antitrust Conference 2022.
Theses eligible for the Concurrences PhD. Award in Law shall not have been published. They shall not be covered by a publishing contract or a preferential right granted to another publisher. Until the Jury has made its decision public, candidates shall neither enter into a publishing contract with another publisher nor grant a preferential right to another publisher. This condition does not apply to the theses eligible for the Concurrences PhD Award in Economics can have been published by chapter or be covered by a publishing contract granted to another publisher.
Should the Jury decide to make candidates an offer to publish their thesis, candidates commit themselves to publish their work with Concurrences. Any print or online version of the theses awarded a prize shall mention the Concurrences PhD. Award on their cover page.
PhD. Awards dotation
- Publication at no cost of the thesis in the Concurrences collection directed by Professor Laurence Idot
- Presentation of the thesis at the New Frontiers of Antitrust Conference
- Publication of an article in Concurrences Review
- One-Year free subscription to Concurrences+
Law Ph.D. Award Jury Members (2022)
- Catherine Prieto (President) | Professor, University Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne
- Sylvaine Poillot-Peruzzetto | Professor, University Toulouse I Capitole
- Jacques Steenbergen | President, Belgian Competition Authority
- Wouter Wils | Legal Advisor, European Commission
Economics Ph.D. Award Jury Members (2022)
- Damien Neven (President) | Professor, The Graduate Institute for International and Development Studies (Geneva)
- Griet Jans | Chief Economist, Belgian Competition Authority
- Patrick Rey | Professor, Toulouse School of Economics
- Thibaud Vergé | Professor, ENSAE
2022 Law PhD. Awards
- Friso Bostoen, "Abuse of platform power: Leveraging conduct in digital markets under EU competition law and beyond", KU Leuven University.
- Sophia Xue Bai, "Reform of Chinese State-Owned Enterprises: What China Can Learn from the Practice of Competitive Neutrality Policy in Australia", University of New South Wales.
2022 Eco PhD. Award
- Morgane Guignard, "Bargaining Power, Competition and Innovation", Institut Polytechnique de Paris.
2021 Law PhD. Award
- Antonin Pitras, "https://www.concurrences.com/fr/all-books/la-soumission-des-banques-au-droit-de-la-concurrence", University Paris I Panthéon Sorbonne.
2021 Eco PhD. Award
- Timo Klein, "Essays in Competition Economics", Amsterdam University.
2020 Law PhD. Award
- Vincent Bridoux, "Droit de la commande publique et droit de la concurrence de l’Union Européenne. Étude d’une dynamique commune", University Paris I Panthéon Sorbonne.
2020 Eco PhD. Award
- Jean-Marc Zogheib, "Competition and Regulation in Network Industries. Essays in Industrial Organization", Institut Polytechnique de Paris.
2019 PhD. Award
- Godefroy de Montcuit, "La faute lucrative en droit de la concurrence", University of Versailles Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelynes.
2018 PhD. Award
- Walid Chaiehloudj, "Les accords de report d’entrée - Contribution à l’étude de la relation du droit de la concurrence et du droit des brevets", Aix-Marseille University
2017 PhD. Award
2016 PhD. Award
- Konstantina Bania, "The Role of Media Pluralism in the Enforcement of EU Competition Law", European University Institute, Florence
2015 PhD. Awards
- Anna Pisarkiewicz, "Evolving Forms of Abuse of Dominant Position in the Electronic Communications Sector", European University Institute, Florence
- Damien Reymond, "Action antidumping et droit de la concurrence dans l’Union européenne", University Panthéon-Assas, Paris II
2013 PhD. Awards
- Rafael Amaro, "Le contentieux privé des pratiques anticoncurrentielles. Etude des contentieux complémentaire et autonome devant les juridictions judiciaires", University Paris V-René Descartes
- Michael J. Frese, "Sanctions in EU Competition Law: Principles and Practice", Amsterdam University
2012 PhD. Award
- Martijn Han, "Vertical relations in cartel theory", Amsterdam University
2011 PhD. Awards
- Jérôme Gstalter, "Droit de la concurrence et droits de propriété intellectuelle", University Panthéon-Sorbonne Paris I
- Claire Mongouachon, "Abus de position dominante et secteur public", Université Paris Ouest Nanterre La Défense
- Silvia Pietrini, "L’action collective en droit des pratiques anticoncurrentielles", University Paris Ouest Nanterre La Défense
2008 PhD. Award
- Anne-Lise Sibony, "Le juge et le raisonnement économique en droit de la concurrence", University Paris-Dauphine
2007 PhD. Award
- David Bosco, "L’obligation d’exclusivité", University Aix Marseille
2005 PhD. Award
- Laetitia Driguez, "Droit social et droit de la concurrence", University Panthéon-Sorbonne Paris I