– Video: Available for all Concurrences + subscribers (see below)
– Audio: Available for Concurrences+ subscribers (see above)
– Synthesis: Available for Concurrences+ subscribers (see above)
– Transcript: Available for Concurrences+ subscribers (see above)
– Concurrences Related Articles (Click Read More below and see page’s bottom) Check the Upcoming Conferences section for the next webinars.
Giorgio Motta introduced the webinar by recalling the difficult task of merger control, which consists of predicting the future by looking at the past. The same method shall be applied in times of uncertainties to the upcoming developments of EU and UK merger control enforcement. The main issue relates to the aftermaths of the judgement (Case T-399/16, CK Telecoms v Commission) by which the General Court of the European Union annulled the European Commission Decision prohibiting the acquisition of Telefónica by Hutchison (Case COMP/M.7612, Hutchison 3G UK/Telefónica UK). Although the Commission appealed before the Court of justice, this judgement questions, inter alia, the standard of proof, the role of efficiencies, the value of economic assessment, as well as the scope of judicial review. He questioned Guillaume Loriot on the grounds of appeal put forward by the Commission in that respect.