The EU Commission issues proposal for a Directive to make national competition authorities more effective

European Commission aims to make National Competition Authorities more effective* On 22 March 2017, the European Commission issued a proposal for a Directive to empower the competition authorities of the Member States to be more effective enforcers and to ensure the proper functioning of the internal market. The proposed Directive, if adopted, would entail the most significant reform of the antitrust rules in the European Union in over ten years. Following the “modernisation” of EU antitrust through Regulation 1/2003, National Competition Authorities (NCAs) have become the primary enforcers of the European rules on anticompetitive practices: since 2004, the Commission has adopted only 15% of the enforcement decisions in the field of EU antitrust; the remaining 85% were adopted by the

Access to this article is restricted to subscribers

Already Subscribed? Sign-in

Access to this article is restricted to subscribers.

Read one article for free

Sign-up to read this article for free and discover our services.

 

PDF Version

Author

  • Antwerp University (UFSIA)

Quotation

Jan Blockx, The EU Commission issues proposal for a Directive to make national competition authorities more effective, 22 March 2017, e-Competitions March 2017, Art. N° 83694

Visites 196

All issues

  • Latest News issue 
  • All News issues
  • Latest Special issue 
  • All Special issues