The UK Competition Appeal Tribunal applies the single economic unit theory and finds that the CC has authority to prevent the concentration between two non-resident corporations on a segment of the metal packaging coatings market (AkzoNobel Holland / Metlac Italy)

The Competition Commission’s power to block transactions outside the UK* The judgment in Akzo Nobel NV v Competition Commission [2013] CAT 13 is an important decision on the ability of the Competition Commission (“CC”) to block transactions between companies outside of the UK. However, neither party to the appeal will be entirely happy with the Competition Appeal Tribunal’s (“CAT”) legal analysis. There must therefore be a chance that – in a future case even if not in this one – the decision will be subject to attacks from both directions. The basic facts are that AkzoNobel indirectly holds a 49% stake in Metlac Holding, and it proposes to acquire the remaining 51%. The proposal has apparently faced no objections from competition authorities in other

Access to this article is restricted to subscribers

Already Subscribed? Sign-in

Access to this article is restricted to subscribers.

Read one article for free

Sign-up to read this article for free and discover our services.

 

PDF Version

Author

  • Blackstone Chambers (London)

Quotation

Tristan Jones, The UK Competition Appeal Tribunal applies the single economic unit theory and finds that the CC has authority to prevent the concentration between two non-resident corporations on a segment of the metal packaging coatings market (AkzoNobel Holland / Metlac Italy), 21 June 2013, e-Competitions Bulletin June 2013, Art. N° 60884

Visites 153

All issues

  • Latest News issue 
  • All News issues
  • Latest Special issue 
  • All Special issues